Building a spiritual haven in the Sacred Town of Temples
Support the rise of our Temple of Knowledge where millions will come to meditate - in Tiruvannamalai, one of South India’s holiest destinations.
Tiruvannamalai is the spiritual hub of South India, centered around Mt Arunachala, one of South India's five ‘elemental’ cities where Lord Shiva himself is believed to reside in. Tiruvannamalai's rich cultural history & its reputation for strong spiritual energies attracts numerous Saints, hosts many significant Religious festivals, and the town attracts ever-growing numbers of seekers. A visit to our new Temple of Knowledge will be a deep spiritual experience that will leave your senses spellbound & spirit uplifted. Along with places of religious and spiritual significance, the city’s captivating beauty will make your trip all the more memorable.
- Built centuries ago, it is one among the Pancha Booth Sthalam, representing the 5 basic elements (Water, air, fire, land, and space). This temple represents the element of fire and thus the temple is dedicated to the Lord of Light.
- It is also believed that the Lord merged with the Goddess here and formed the Shiva-Shakti (male-female) combined form of Ardhanareeswara.
- Regarded as a Moksha Puri, a place that can provide salvation to devotees. One can obtain salvation (Mukthi) simply remembering Thiruvannamalai.
- The Shiva linga here represents the element fire and is called Agni Lingam (Jyothi Lingam) and explains the mythics of life – duty, virtue, self-sacrifice and finally liberation by and through ascetic life at the end of Agni kalpa. There are also Ashtalinga shrines, the temples of 8 Shivalingas worshipped by various Gods and divinities and these add to it’s sacredness.
- Its reputation for strong spiritual energies and meditation caves has made it a spot for numerous Saints & Gurus.
- A 14km circumambulation of this holy hill as Girivalam by those on pilgrimage.
- To honor the place where Shiva appeared as fire on an unreachable mountain, every year the Karthigai Deepam festival is celebrated where huge beacon of light on the hill top. The huge flame blazes for days and can be seen from many miles away.
How you can support?
Our vision is to build a special Ashram which will be graced by Gurudev Sri Sri Ravishankar’s presence & vision. Building a Temple of Knowledge in this holy place will give it a strong spiritual base. With numerous temples and caves of worship and various spiritual ashrams, the city has had spiritual masters, seekers, meditators and more for than 100s of years. Coming to meditate in a Temple of Knowledge here would benefit seekers from around the world.
Now you can be a part of this milestone / historic venture! Your donations are welcome towards building our Ashram. The merits of contributing to the place where people will meditate is abundant and the merits of donating to a temple town is said to bring blessings & merit to all your generations to come. You will be supporting the setting up of a space of spiritual wisdom, growth & community. Even one meditator impacts a radius of 50km around them. Imagine a Temple of knowledge in holy place with millions of meditators coming together, and what an impact it would have in the world! Let's build this Ashram together.